Monday, October 20, 2008

YOU CAN'T VOTE FOR POP-N-FRESH IF YOU'RE GAY! HERE'S WHY


1: SARAH "ENDORA" PALIN. THIS ONE IS SERIOUSLY ON THE FAR SIDE OF 1952. HER VIEWS ON GAY MARRIAGE ALONE DISQUALIFY HER FOR YOUR VOTE.

"In my own state I have voted along with the vast majority of Alaskans who had the opportunity to vote to amend our constitution defining marriage as between one man and one woman. I wish on a federal level that that's where we would go because I don't support gay marriage. I'm not gonna be up there judging individuals, sitting in the seat of judgment telling them what they can and can't do, should or shouldn't do. But I certainly can express my own opinion here and take actions that I believe would be best for traditional marriage and that's casting my votes and speaking up for traditional marriage. That instrument that - it's the foundation of our society, is that strong family and that's based on that traditional definition of marriage..."

Ok, whether or not you care about homos getting married, the simple fact is this, marriage is a legal contract. Always has been. Once that contract is recognized as legal certain benefits come with it. Lower taxes, spousal rights, inheritance issues, health care benefits, etc..

Somewhere along the line marriage was highjacked by religious institutions. It became an ceremony where the two legal partners were blessed by the religious figure of their choice. No problem there. The problem is that the legal and the religious have nothing to do with one another.

In Russia, as an example, couples get legally married at the court house. If they want they then go over to a church to have their union blessed. Pretty simple. This is the method all over a good portion of the world. If a couple wants to have their union blessed, hoorah! If not, let's hit a Cantina and down some body shots!

This marriage thing is not about your morals vs mine. It's about being treated equally in the eyes of the law. If I can't marry my boyfriend then I can't avail myself to any of those benefits that married couples enjoy. That would be unfair. The America of the republican party is supposed to be all about fairness. Isn't it?

1 comment:

Craig Curtis said...

"If you want to sacrifice the admiration of many men for the criticism of one, go ahead. Get married."

Yes, Derek Dahling, that's our old pal Katharine Hepburn calling. Frankly, the whole problem is that we INSIST on calling the whole damned thing MARRIAGE rather than CIVIL UNION. On that one word has the religious right hinged and tinged an entire argument on. If anyone ever wants to "marry" my skinny white ass, I'd show them the door, and quick. If they want to march into a courthouse and say courteous pleasantries to each other, that would be a whole other thing.

Coif