Tuesday, March 23, 2010

DEREK WASHINGTON FOR CHAIRMAN OF THE STONEWALL DEMOCRATIC CLUB OF SOUTHERN NEVADA



Hi All,


For the last few months I have had the honor of serving as Chairman of the Stonewall Democratic Club of Southern Nevada. In that time our club membership has doubled as has our bank account. We have also moved into the forefront of Democratic clubs in the State of Nevada.


This being an election year, SDSN is poised to be an important player in the 2010 election cycle. I hope you will re-elect me to lead us during this exciting period. As you may know, I have endeavored from the start of my current term to make SDSN the most diverse LGBT organization in the state. I feel we have achieved that through my expanding the board to include those who are traditionally under served in our community including women, people of color, the disabled and the Transgender community. I have also made it a point to bring straight allies on to the board and formed strategic coalitions with straight and LGBT non partisan political and social groups to further our goal of achieving full equality for all.


Nationally, SDSN is becoming known for taking the lead with the use of new techniques such as "Rapid Response" and flexing the LGBT community's political muscle through the use of Straw Polls and PR releases. In the past two months alone we have been mentioned in several local and statewide media outlets. In the LGBT activist community we are now looked to as a model of LGBT activism working within the system.


I would like to continue chairing SDSN for two reasons.


One, my work is not yet done.


I am a proud Democrat.


Thank you and I hope that you will see fit to re-elect me as Chairman of the Stonewall Democratic Club of Southern Nevada.

No comments: