Monday, August 31, 2009

WHY AM I GOING TO WASHINGTON D.C.? By Derek Washington


WHY AM I GOING TO WASHINGTON D.C.?
By Derek Washington


The opening of the Declaration of Independence written by Thomas Jefferson in 1776, states as follows:
“ We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

What is Equality?

Well, according to Webster’s Dictionary the following is the official definition of “Equal”.

1: the quality or state of being equal: like in quality, nature, or status c: like for each member of a group, class, or society

When I am asked why I am going to participate in "National Equality March” my first reaction is to explain what I am not going for. At the top of that list is hate I’m not going to express hate. I don’t have time to hate. We as a community don’t have the time to hate. We can’t afford the energy to hate.

I’m also not going for some sort of revenge. Revenge is not on the agenda. It’s a dish best left uneaten.

So, why am I going?

I’m going to honor the Constitution of The United States of America and our founding Fathers’ original ideas and principles. From the very beginning, the Founding Fathers told us that we were all created equal.

Of course, we all know that hasn’t always been the case. Women, Blacks and other people of color know that isn’t a principle that has been always followed as written in the Constitution. Japanese American citizens were unlawfully interned during WWII without reason. Women only got the right to vote in the early 20’s. And we all know the struggles that we Blacks have gone through (and continue to go through) for our voting rights.

But, it’s also very true that because we are great country, we have consistently identified problems in our society and set out to correct them for the good of all Americans. However, we still have a ways to go. Until recently, the LGBT community was considered an officially “sick and ill” community that needed to stay underground or in dark corners where no one would see those who “practiced the Love that dare not share its name.” Well, our country has evolved. We now are a recognized part of American society. Whether you like it, or not.

What has not changed in over 200 years is the definition of what an American is entitled to according to The Constitution. And that is why I am going to Washington D.C.

I’m not going to only to ask for the right to be married to whomever it is that I love. I’m actually going to demand it. I’m really not going to Washington to “ask” for anything. Gays have fought in every war for this country. We have taught the nations children. We have built the roads and tilled the fields. We fly the nation’s planes and deliver its goods. We were there at the very beginning of the Civil Rights movement in the form of a man named Bayard Rustin who, by the way, planned and organized a little historic event called The March on Washington.

So, I am not going to “ask” for anything in Washington, D.C..

Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

We have died on the battlefields to protect our rights as Americans. We deserve them. We have earned them. I am going to demand my rights and those of my fellow brothers and sisters which we are guaranteed by the most precious government document on this planet.

This document that cements “The American Dream” in little children’s minds across the continents.

The Constitution of the United States of America.

PLEASE READ, COPY AND EMAIL ME BACK THE APPROPRIATE LETTER BELOW TO SHOW YOUR OR YOUR ORGANIZATIONS SUPPORT FOR EQUALITY. EMAIL: derekisademocrat@gmail.com

1 comment:

Rachel Rose said...

good